School History

Silchar, prior to independence, was the terminal station of the Bengal Plain. It was surrounded by the Barail, Manipur and Lushai Hills. It had 116 large and small flourishing Tea Gardens and was populated by the different tribal and Bengali People. It had connectivity through East Bengal Railways and water ways. Partition of India made it a corner most area of Independent India. In pre-independent era Silchar could feel every pulse of India and hence in the year 1921 when whole of India was being swayed by the Non-cooperation Movement of Mahatma Gandhiji, the ripples also inundated the foothill of Barak Valley and its people also.


Prior to 1921 women's education were in the hands of missionaries in the Barak Valley. There was only one Missionary Girls’ School. In that school, in 1921, certain teacher made a contemptuous remark that General Diar has done the right thing. The Native should be treated in the like manner. This remark on Indians added fuel to the fire. A girl of class IX Smti. Amita Kumari Chanda with a number of students of her class protested at this derogatory remarks and left the school. Amita Kumari’s father the doyan of freedom movement in this part of India Late Kamini Kumar Chanda could feel the pulse of her daughter and stood behind her. He donated a slice of land of his homestead and incited the patriotic citizenries to work for starting a ‘National School’ for the girls where they will be taught, besides general education, martial art, spinning, weaving, tailoring to make the girls’ to blossom into womanhood and the ‘Swadeshi School’ for girls came into being. Later at the benevolence of the Joint Stock Company a fund was released from their Trust Fund. The trustees wished that the school will be named after Dinanath Dutta and Nabakishore Sen and so they did. Though the school was named Dinanath Nabakishore Girls’ school after two renowned gentlemen it had been commonly known as “Swadeshi school” till today.


The School got the blessings of Mahatmaji in 1921. On 21st August Mahatmaji paid a visit at Silchar and stayed with Kamini Kumar Chanda. In the evening of 21st August they held meeting and discussions in the school campus. Next day Mahatmaji spinned charka before the students and the charkas are still preserved in the school with high honour.


Beside Mahatma Gandhi, other National Leaders like Raibahadur Promode Chandra Dutta, Achaya Prafulla Chandra Roy visited the school in 1924, Ramananda Chattopadhya, Bipin Chandra Paul, Sundari Mohan Das was in 1928, Subhash Chandra Bose in 1939.


When Gopinath Bordoloi visited the school in 1939 he said, “It is a unique in the whole of Assam”. Among others who touched & sanctified the soil of the school were the great literary figure Sarat Chandra Chattapadhya, Kaka Karlekar , Probodh Kr. Sanyal etc. They all showered their ‘Best Wishes’ for the school and spoke high of the spirit the school pledged in its nascent. The School upgraded to H.S Section w.e.f. March, 1992.


We also vow to go ahead as the school is still rampantly in quest for a greater future to perpetuate the reputation of the school.

Shyama Charan Deb,founder headmaster with his wife Saudamini Debi. Dinanath Dutta, Land Doner of the school. Kamini Kumar Chanda, Given Financial help for school upliftment. Nabokishore Sen, Given Financial help for school upliftment. Amita Kumari Chanda (Bose)daughter of Late Kamini Kumar Chanda.